~DIY gingerbread gift card holder~{with The Home Depot}

This post is sponsored by The Home Depot. 

With a fixer upper house, and just being a homeowner in general, we spend much of our time at Home Depot. I remember when first bought our house 19 years ago, and I was 4 months pregnant with Savannah. Our Home Depot was open 24 hours, and we definitely took advantage of that. 
Many date nights took place there, I am sure some of you can relate, right?

So this year, my dad is getting a Home Depot gift card, because like us, it is his second home as well.

I wanted to give it to him in a clever way though, something different than your usual gift card box or envelope. Since he was the one that taught me how to use tools and fix things, I thought making him something would be perfect. He also happens to be a bird lover, so this project was born:


If you like this project
{and I hope you do!} 
here is how you can make your own gingerbread birdhouse, very easily, and very inexpensively.
First off, you need a birdhouse. I bought this one.
It came unassembled but was very easy to put together. 
I think it's made for kids to do, so super easy.



Once the house is put together you need to create a slit where your gift card "chimney" will go.
You can play around with placement. 
I found it easiest to trace around my gift card with a pencil to find where it looked best.




Using a jig saw with a fine blade, cut across your pencil line, making sure to not follow the angle of the roof, but to cut straight down.
This might look a bit intimidating, but it was really quite simple.



Here is a quick look at the other products used.
You will need wood glue to put the house together.
{this is a good thing to have in your crafting box for future projects}
The adhesive caulk will act as your "frosting" 
I only used about half a tube on the whole house.
You'll need a bit of sandpaper and a foam brush as well as your choice of stain color.
I used a combo of this one and this one to get the perfect gingerbread color.
Everything can be purchased at Home Depot.
After your house is put together, sand any rough spots. I also sanded any sharp edges, rounding them over slightly, to resemble gingerbread.
You want this to look like a real gingerbread house!


Don't forget to protect your surface while you are staining.
If you want to wear gloves you can.
You want to get the stain on the inside as well as the outside of the house.
I just brushed it on and then wiped it off with a paper towel as I went.
Let dry thoroughly.  A few hours should be fine. I let mine dry overnight before proceeding
 to frosting it.
For the frosting, use the adhesive caulk just as if you were decorating a cake. 
Get creative and add swirls and dots and anything else you'd like!
I started mine by outlining everything. Then I went through side by side creating windows and doors.
You an also create icicles by squeezing the tube at the roofline and letting go of the pressure to create the drips.


After you have frosted everything, let dry overnight again.

Browse through all the different holiday gift cards available here and pick a design you like!
Then simply insert it into the hole you cut with the jigsaw for your chimney and you are done!
Remember this is for decorative uses only and should be kept away from birds and used indoors only.


Doesn't it look like real gingerbread?




Here is a little hint if your cut wasn't quite straight.
If your gift card isn't standing up the way you want it to, simply add a dab of low temp hot glue to it. It shouldn't damage the gift card and it will keep it standing straight up.



Take a look around blog land to see how these other lovelies created ways to give their gift cards!



I acknowledge that The Home Depot is partnering with me to participate in this 2016 gift card program. As a part of the Program, I am receiving compensation in the form of products and services, for the purpose of promoting The Home Depot. All expressed opinions and experiences are my own words. My post complies with the Word Of Mother Marketing Association {WOMMA} Ethics Code and applicable Federal Trade Commission guidelines.


via My Sweet Savannah
Share on Google Plus

About Decoration de la Maison

This is a short description in the author block about the author. You edit it by entering text in the "Biographical Info" field in the user admin panel.


Home & Garden Bestsellers